David's practice expertise focuses on all matters of Commercial and Civil Litigation, Competition and Administrative Law.
David has acted for clients in a wide range of disputes, including shareholder and partnership disputes, securities litigation, class action defence, proceedings under the Competition Act, employment law disputes, contract disputes, breach of confidence/intellectual property disputes, fidelity bond claims, and professional negligence claims.
David has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal for Ontario, and has also appeared before the Competition Tribunal and the Federal Court of Appeal. David has appeared as lead counsel in numerous trials, hearings, and motions. David has been successful in numerous adversarial proceedings, and also has successfully negotiated the resolution of dozens of cases.
- Represented a Respondent in abuse of dominance proceedings before the Competition Tribunal (two hearings) and the Federal Court of Appeal. Defence of our client at the first hearing was nominated for the Global Competition Review’s 2014 “Behavioural Matter of the Year – Americas” award.
- Acted as defence counsel in price fixing class actions.
- Acted in securities class actions as defence counsel and also as D&O insurer monitoring counsel.
- Represented an insurer in fidelity bond coverage litigation.
- Represented defendants in a variety of E&O/professional liability claims across several professions including: investment advisors, lawyers, auditors, and insurance brokers.
- Represented defendant directors and officers being sued in a personal capacity.
- Represented partners in acrimonious proceedings to wind down partnerships.
- Represented employers and employees in numerous employment law cases including wrongful dismissal and payment of accrued bonuses.
- Represented clients in commercial contractual disputes.
- Provided advice to clients regarding Competition Act compliance and also regarding complaints to the Competition Bureau regarding competitor conduct.
- Earned numerous law school awards, including: Middlesex Law Association Silver Medal (second highest academic standing in graduating class); Carswell Prize (top standing in International Commercial Litigation); Canada Law Book Limited Prize (top standing in Evidence); Canvasback Publishing Prize In Administrative Law; Cassels, Brock & Blackwell LLP Centennial Award In Constitutional Law.