Masiel has a broad commercial litigation practice and represents both national and international clients in a variety of complex matters. Masiel has experience litigating cases involving professional negligence, commercial leasing and real property disputes, insurance, contract disputes, shareholder disputes, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of trust, employment matters and defamation claims.
- Represents investment dealers, financial advisors and other market participants in civil investor loss cases, in regulatory proceedings before the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA), and defends prosecutions under the Securities Act brought on behalf of the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) by the Joint Serious Offences Team (JSOT).
- Represents closely held corporations involved in various disputes, including oppression claims, as well as directors and officers sued in their personal capacity.
- Represents owners of commercial real estate in property disputes, including environmental contamination claims.
- Represents employers and employees/ independent contractors in employment law disputes.
- While attending law school, Masiel participated in various advocacy and dispute resolution competitions and was a semi-finalist in the Canadian Client Consultation Competition.
- Masiel was a civil division leader and a caseworker for the University of Ottawa Community Legal Clinic. Masiel was also co-president of the Criminal Law Students Association.
- Earned a range of awards and scholarships for academic achievement.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Masiel is a food and wine enthusiast and obtained the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits Certificate with Distinction.