Masiel, a Partner of the firm, has a broad commercial litigation practice and represents both national and international clients in a variety of complex business matters. Masiel has expertise in cases involving shareholder disputes, contract disputes, corporate fraud, commercial leasing and real property disputes, breach of trust, professional negligence, D&O claims, and employment matters. Masiel is a tough-minded advocate dedicated to obtaining results for her clients.
- Represents corporations and shareholders involved in oppression claims as well as directors and officers sued in their personal capacity.
- Represents owners of commercial real estate in property and leasing disputes as well as environmental contamination claims.
- Represents investment dealers, financial advisors and other market participants in civil investor loss cases and cryptocurrency related disputes, including regulatory proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA), and defends prosecutions under the Securities Act brought on behalf of the OSC by the Joint Serious Offences Team (JSOT).
- Represents employers and employees in employment law disputes.
- While at law school, Masiel was a semi-finalist in the Canadian Client Consultation Competition. Masiel was a Civil Division Leader and caseworker for the University of Ottawa Community Legal Clinic. Masiel was also co-president of the Criminal Law Students Association.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Masiel is a food and wine enthusiast and has achieved the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 3 Award in Wines with Merit and Distinction.