Jacob Millar is a versatile lawyer who as a law student and articling student has gained experience in civil and criminal litigation and administrative matters in Ontario, Nova Scotia and the U.K. As an associate with the firm, Jacob represents and advises clients in all manner of commercial disputes and competition law matters.
Jacob is a regular contributor to thelitigator.ca. He was Vice President and member of the Dalhousie Water Polo team, winning the Dalhousie Invitational Cup in 2016. Jacob’s interests include archaeology, theatre, dance, film, gardening and hiking.
- Drafted submissions and other documents for several administrative bodies and/or tribunals including: the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, and the Canada Border Services Agency.
- Assisted with written submissions in several large class actions.
- Followed and assisted a crown prosecutor with intake court, arraignments, interim releases, and legal research on Constitutional issues.
- Wrote memoranda about complicated areas of law to supplement litigant briefs and produced draft judicial decisions for members of the Nova Scotia Bench.
- Updated and edited a corporate law casebook.
- Worked for pro bono legal charity specializing in employment and whistleblowing law, following up and debriefing cases with clients.
- During law school earned Pamela & Andrew Brands International Summer Internship & Scholarship; Borden, Ladner, Gervais Professional Excellence Award for extra-curriculars and academics; Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP Prize for highest standing in Business Associations; Horace Emerson Read Award for contributions to student life.
- President, Dalhousie Literary Moot, 2016-2018.
- Dean’s Honour’s List, Queen’s University, 2012-2015.
- Bilingual: English and French.